Develop a solution to a specific ethical dilemma faced by a health care professional by applying ethical principles. Describe the issues and a possible solution in a 3-5-page paper.
Whether you are a nurse, a public health professional, a health care administrator, or in another role in the health care field, you must base your decisions on a set of ethical principles and values. Your decisions must be fair, equitable, and defensible. Each discipline has established a professional code of ethics to guide ethical behavior. In this assessment, you will practice working through an ethical dilemma as described in a case study. Your practice will help you develop a method for formulating ethical decisions.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Apply information literacy and library research skills to obtain scholarly information in the field of health care.
o Apply academic peer-reviewed journal articles relevant to an ethical problem or issue as evidence to support an analysis of the case.
· Competency 3: Apply ethical principles and academic standards to the study of health care.
o Summarize the facts in a case study and use the three components of an ethical decision-making model to analyze an ethical problem or issue and the factors that contributed to it.
o Discuss the effectiveness of the communication approaches present in a case study.
o Discuss the effectiveness of the approach used by a professional to deal with problems or issues involving ethical practice in a case study.
o Apply ethical principles to a possible solution to an ethical problem or issue described in a case study.
· Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others, and that is consistent with expectations for health care professionals.
o Write clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
o Write following APA style for in-text citations, quotes, and references.
Note: The requirements outlined below correspond to the grading criteria in the scoring guide. At a minimum, be sure to address each point. In addition, you are encouraged to review the performance level descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed.
For this assessment, you will develop a solution to a specific ethical dilemma faced by a health care professional. In your assessment:
o Select the case most closely related to your area of interest and use it to complete the assessment.
o Note: The case study may not supply all of the information you need. In such cases, you should consider a variety of possibilities and infer potential conclusions. However, please be sure to identify any assumptions or speculations you make.
2. Identify which case study you selected and briefly summarize the facts surrounding it. Identify the problem or issue that presents an ethical dilemma or challenge and describe that dilemma or challenge.
3. Access the Ethical Decision-Making Model | Transcript media piece and use the three components of the ethical decision-making model (moral awareness, moral judgment, and ethical behavior) to analyze the ethical issues.
4. Analyze the factors that contributed to the problem or issue.
o Identify who is involved or affected by the problem or issue.
o Describe the factors that contributed to the problem or issue and explain how they contributed.
5. In addition to the readings provided, use the library to locate at least one academic peer-reviewed journal article relevant to the problem or issue that you can use to support your analysis of the situation.
o Cite and apply the journal article as evidence to support your critical thinking and analysis of the case.
o Assess the credibility of the information source.
o Assess the relevance of the information source.
6. Discuss the effectiveness of the communication approaches present in the case study.
o Describe how the health care professional communicated with others.
o Describe the communication and communication strategies that were applied, both in creating and in resolving the problems or issues presented.
o Assess instances where the professional communicated effectively or ineffectively.
7. Discuss the effectiveness of the approach used by the professional related to any problems or issues involving ethical practice in the case.
o Describe the actions taken in response to the ethical dilemma or challenge presented in the case study.
o Summarize how well the professional managed professional responsibilities and priorities to resolve the problem or issue in the case.
o Discuss the key lessons this case provides for health care professionals.
8. Apply ethical principles to a possible solution to the proposed problem or issue from the case study.
o Describe the proposed solution.
o Discuss how the approach makes this professional more effective or less effective in building relationships across disciplines within his or her organization.
o Discuss how likely it is the proposed solution will foster professional collaboration.
9. Write clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
o Determine the proper application of the rules of grammar and mechanics.
10. Write using APA style for in-text citations, quotes, and references.
o Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements and scholarly writing standards.
o Apply the principles of effective composition.
o Integrate information from outside sources into academic writing by appropriately quoting, paraphrasing, and summarizing, following APA style.
Example Assessment: You may use the following to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like:
1. Length: At least 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page and reference page.
2. Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
4. Written communication: Use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
5. References: Integrate information from outside sources to include at least two references (the case study and an academic peer-reviewed journal article) and three in-text citations within the paper.
6. APA format: Follow current APA guidelines for in-text citation of outside sources in the body of your paper and also on the reference page.
Note: Read the Applying Ethical Principles Scoring Guide to fully understand how your paper will be graded.
If you would like assistance in organizing your assessment, or if you simply have a question about your assessment, do not hesitate to ask faculty or the teaching assistants in the NHS Learner Success Lab for guidance and suggestions.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.