Week 4 Discussion: Respiratory Alterations (USLOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
You are caring for 8-year-old Elliot Collins. He was admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) with status asthmaticus after suffering an asthma attack while playing football in the neighborhood with some friends.
Based on this information, your prior knowledge of this client (refer to medical card from the Collins-Kim family tree interactive), and your knowledge of the pathophysiology of asthma, respond to the following prompts:
1. Thoroughly explain the pathophysiology of asthma. Use a scholarly or authoritative source to support your answer.
2. Examine each of the following three factors related to this disease process. Support all three with a scholarly source.
3. environmental implications
3. Identify 3-5 priority nursing interventions for the client while in the PICU.
4. Describe labs and diagnostic testing you would want to include in client’s plan of care and why. What are critical indicators? Support with a scholarly source.
5. What members of the interdisciplinary team need to be included for holistic patient-centered care? Provide a rationale and support with a scholarly source.